25 July 2011

Hearth & Soul Blog Hop - Ginger Cookies

It's time for Hearth and Soul Blog hop co-hosted by Premeditated Leftovers! If you want to join in and share a favorite recipe, head on over!

This week, I want to share one of my Mom's recipes. I don't have very many of her recipes, so the ones that I do have are precious to me, as they contain the ingredients to unlock many precious memories from my childhood through great smells and tastes.  (Oh the secrets the brain contains that can sometimes only be unlocked through smell or taste!)

My Mom was not a huge cookie baker, so when she did make cookies, it almost always to celebrate a festive time. One such time was Christmas. Oh the smells of Christmas baking and the memories that those smells evoke! My Mom would make these delicious Ginger Cookies at Christmas time and the smell would fill the house, decorated for the season with a Christmas tree and candles in the windows and a nativity scene in the bay window. I don't know where she got the recipe from, so I consider it my Mom's recipe.

Seeing as how we are exactly five months from Christmas Day, I don't think it's too early to start thinking about Christmas baking. :) Enjoy!

Here is my Mom's Ginger Cookie Recipe:

-->
Ingredients:
2 sticks butter                                                  4 cups unbleached, sifted flour
1 ½ cups sugar                                                 2 ½ tsp ginger
½ tsp salt                                                         1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ cup Grandmom’s unsulp molasses                1 ½ tsp cinnamon
2 eggs                                                              1 ½ tsp cloves

1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Pulse/blend butter, sugar and salt until smooth.
3.Add molasses and eggs. Very important to use UNSULP molasses
4. Add flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix well.
5.Roll into golf ball size balls and place on un-greased baking sheet.
6.Bake 12-14 minutes; better when cooked on shorter time. Dip in sugar.

3 comments:

Alea Milham said...

YUM, I love ginger cookies! When my husband was young he called ginger cookies earthquake cookies and the name stuck. :)

I am really attached to the few recipes that have been passed down to me by my mom and grandmas. I am also thankful that my mother-in-law is a recipe sharer and has taken it upon herself to make up for the lack of family recipes from my side of the family.

Thank you for sharing your Ginger Cookie recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

Alea Milham said...

Just visiting to see if there is an update. I hope you and Daphne are doing well! Praying!

Tegan said...

Nothing really new except that my fluid has gone up a little bit. Still pregnant though and still contracting all the time.

Thank you for stopping by and for checking in. :) I really appreciate it so much.