10 January 2012

Tegan's Taco Soup

It's time for another recipe! I'm linking up with Premeditated Leftovers for her Hearth and Soul bloghop. Head over there and join me for some great recipes!
I am a big fan of tacos, and since it is winter and we are in full soup and stew season swing, I decided to turn my tacos into a soup! I did try to look for a few taco soup recipes, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I decided to wing it. I like winging it in the kitchen - if you haven't done it before, you should try it. :)

I made this recipe the other night when we had some friends over for dinner. They really enjoyed it (they even asked for the recipe - a great compliment!). I served it in the pot on the table with tortilla chips, cheddar cheese and sour cream on the side. I think the lime made all the difference in the world from previous taco soup recipes I've made. And the three toddlers (two of mine and our friend's) ate it as well.

Tegan's Taco Soup
(I do apologize in advance for not having a picture, I'll have to come back later and add one in the next time I make it).

Ingredients:
1 lb ground hamburger
cayenne pepper (~1/2 tsp)
cumin (~1 tbsp)
paprika (~1-2 tbsp)
2 limes
1 (16oz) can black beans
1 (16 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 fresh roma tomatoes, diced
corn (~1 cup)
water
cheddar
sour cream
tortilla chips

Put it together:
In a large pot brown the hamburger, seasoning with cayenne (a little, unless you want a spicy taco soup, then add more), cumin, paprika and the juice of one lime. Drain the hamburger and return to pot.
Add the beans, undrained, and tomatoes, also undrained and the fresh diced tomatoes to the pot. Add about 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
When water comes to a boil, add the corn and the juice of the second lime. I use frozen corn. If you're using canned corn, drain the corn. 
Simmer on low about 20 minutes.

Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream.
Enjoy! :D

3 comments:

Swathi said...

Taco soup sounds delicious. Nice recipe. Next time I would like to try some time. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

KCrutchfield said...

It was fabulous!!! My (won't eat meat or tomatoes or veggies) Toddler LOVED it! We both had seconds! I'm going shopping for the ingredients this weekend to try it again. Thank you Tegan!

Alea Milham said...

This soup sounds delicious! I can't wait to make this for my family. Thanks for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.